It is now clear to most people that global warming, the challenges of climate change and keeping our ecosystems healthy are becoming massive, global and so complex that it seems overwhelming.
The issue is far too encompassing to leave to some smaller interest groups. Ecological thinking sees complex relationships and interactions among industrial plants, workers, health care, energy, pollution, and economic growth as no less part of the planet’s ecosystem than a forest.
As a consequence, we must develop new technologies, new architectures, new ways of planning our societies and infrastructure.
We have to change attitudes as well. We have to adapt to the world’s ecological limits if we want a sustainable future.
If we want a safe, prosperous, clean and healthy society that can last also for the coming generations, we have to plan and work for it. Now.
On September 25th 2015, most countries in the world adopted a set of goals to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all as part of a new sustainable development agenda. Each goal has specific targets to be achieved over the next 15 years.
For the goals to be reached, everyone needs to do their part: governments, the private sector, civil society and people like you.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
- National Association for Environmental Management (NAEM) (2016) Planning for a sustainable future (Green business)
- Support leaders making climate solutions a reality
- Angrybirds for a better planet
- United World Schools: What are the Sustainable Development Goals?
- Guardian: Sustainable development goals: all you need to know
- Sustainable Development Goals – Knowledge platform
- 7 Easy Things We Can All Do to Reach the Sustainable Development Goals
- Make the SDG’S real
- Choose Humanity: Make the Impossible Choice Possible!
- Oil firms have 10 years to change strategy or face ‘short, brutish end’
- Oil majors told to adapt or die (May 2016)
- Saving our Planet
- Our Fossil-Fuel Economy Destroys the Earth and Exploits Humanity – Here’s the Shift We Need to Be Sustainable
- Noam Chomsky: The Doomsday Clock Is on the Verge of Striking 12 Nuclear Weapons, Climate Change, and the Prospects for Survival
- Trump, Putin, and ExxonMobil team up to destroy the planet
- Can Entrepreneurship Save the Planet?
- 228 Cities Around the World Take the Lead on Climate Action
- Accelerating Toward a Clean Energy Economy (UCS)
- US Carbon Tax “Close To Inevitable,” Conservative Leader Proclaims — Moral Disgrace Of Ignoring Global Warming Too Strong (June 2016)
- Here’s How We Get to 100% Renewable Energy
- Our new alliance unites 600m city dwellers in fight against climate change
- David Suzuki: Humanity’s Fate Depends on the Choices We Make Today
- Hooked! The Unyielding Grip of Fossil Fuels on Global Life. Despite the advances of renewable energy, fossil fuels will continue to dominate the global landscape for decades to come
- Africans Rising for Justice, Peace and Sustainable Development
- Pope urges Christians to save planet from ‘debris, desolation and filth’ (Sept 2016)
- Gov. Brown signs sweeping legislation to combat climate change in California (Sept 2016)
- Fossil-fuel subsidies
- Capacity for the 2030 Agenda (UNITAR, 2016)
- UNFCCC: UN climate change newsroom
- EU fast-tracks Paris climate deal to brink of entering into force
- Countries hit by climate change pledge to go 100% renewable (Nov 2016)
- Germany Reasserts Climate Leadership, Outlines Path to Carbon-Neutral Economy by 2050 (Nov 2016)
- Marrakech climate summit marks the start of a new era (Nov 2016)
- Paris Agreement climate proposals need a boost to keep warming well below 2 °C (Nature, 2016)
- California, at Forefront of Climate Fight, Won’t Back Down to Trump (NYT Dec 2016)
- America Is Awash in Fake News – Viewers and readers can no longer distinguish between truth and fiction. (Dec 2016)
- 10 Reasons to Be Optimistic for a Low-Carbon Future (Dec 2016)
- Could Climate Change Build Big Business in Kenya? The country is riding a wave of entrepreneurialism, but the Rift Valley is still a long way from Silicon Valley (NG, 2017).
- Changing the Climate Change Conversation Before the Environmental Movement Is Terminated (Feb 2017)
- Why business will make or break the SDGs
- Powering Africa’s Future (Feb 2017)
- Emissions flat for third year running as economy boom continues (March 2017)
- Global energy CO2 emissions could be cut by 70 percent by 2050: IRENA (March 2017)
- Economic Report on Africa 2016 (Economic Commission for Africa 2017)
|Home||Chapter 5||5 Green economy|
|Chapter 6||6 Greener future?|
|6.1 Green technology|
|6.1.3 Renewable energy|
|6.1.4 Energy storage|
|6.2 Ecological footprint|
|6.3 Greener law?|
|6.4 Greener business?|
|6.5 Greener architecture?|
|6.6 Greener tourism|